A hashtag is a word or phrase preceded by a hash sign (#) on social media. It is a label for content. It helps others who are interested in a specific topic quickly find content based on that same topic they are searching for.
A hashtag looks something like this: #InfluencerMarketingHub or #InfluencerMarketing.
First used by Chris Messina in 2007 before skyrocketing in popularity, hashtags were designed to connect social media content to a specific topic, event, theme, or conversation. They also make it easier to discover posts around those specific topics.
Anyone sharing content on a relevant topic can add the hashtag label to their message. Others searching for that topic, can search for that label to find other messages on that same social media platform.
Why You Should Use Hashtags
Hashtags are one of the best ways to grow your reach on every social network like TikTok, Twitter, and Instagram. They are also an ideal idea to boost your digital marketing strategy. But those are not the only benefits to using hashtags:
- You get increased engagement with your followers. Using hashtags to your advantage means putting yourself in the conversation on that social media platform. Your posts become visible in that conversation, and anyone following or searching the hashtag you listed will see what you have to say for yourself. This can lead to greater engagement and increase your social profile’s followers, likes, comments, and more.
- It’s a fantastic opportunity to build your brand. When you create a branded hashtag, you’re promoting your business in an unconventional way and driving conversation.
- Hashtags are a way to show support for social issues. When you use a hashtag that’s connected to an issue beyond your brand, you’re showing others that you really are more than a brand or a business. Your brand is backed by real people, real human beings who genuinely care.
- They help find your target audience on social media and vice versa. On social platforms like Instagram and LinkedIn, you can follow hashtags that intrigue you. When you use popular hashtags in your social posts, you’re inviting that opportunity to have others find your brand.
How to Find the Best Hashtags to Use
- Identify top social media influencers and other companies. Start by doing a competitive analysis on social media. Who is using what hashtags to grow their following? How are they doing it? Where are they applying these hashtags? You are a researching sleuth—gather comprehensive intel from anybody and anything within your brand’s niche.
- Know which hashtags are trending. Apart from using convenient hashtag tools like RiteTag and Hashtagify.me, you can also search trending hashtags directly in social platforms like TikTok. Just go to the search column, type in your desired hashtag, and click that beautiful search button.
- Keep track of popular hashtags, branded hashtags, favorite hashtags, etc. Hashtag tracking is vital to your marketing success. In a Google Doc, spreadsheet, or any other tool, you can have all of your favorite hashtags in one place. No more going back and forth with your hashtag efforts!
- Invest in a social media listening tool. Social media listening tools like Keyhole and Mention can help you uncover valuable insights into what your audience thinks about your brand. The same principle applies to hashtags. Valuable social listening tools help you stay ahead of your competitors and leverage the latest industry trends before others get on board.